Free the Kids supports the programs and activities at Pwoje Espwa Sud (Espwa) in Les Cayes, Haiti by providing needed resources to:
- Keep our children with their families whenever possible.
- Develop each child mentally, emotionally, socially, physically and spiritually through the age of 18.
- Prepare them to live independently through education and life skills.
- Provide an opportunity for economic viability through vocational training.
- Provide the most exception adults with further academic and business opportunities.
Our Program Objectives:
- Family Preservation: We strive to keep families together with education and counseling aimed at empowering families to achieve long-term self-sufficiency and independence.
- Residence Program: We provide safe residential homes for orphaned children who have no family, and temporary residence for families with vulnerable children who will return home after some time.
- Education: We offer pre-Kindergarten through Secondary 3 education. We set high academic standards in our schools while facilitating student achievement through caring assistance beyond the classroom. Religious Education is offered during the school day, which develops the spiritual, moral, ethical, and service culture of our youth.
- Life Skills and Vocational: Our after school programs enable our children to reach their highest potential, build confidence and dream big. Enrichment activities also include job exploration and professional development opportunities through in-house experiences and internships with key partners.
- Transition Program: Residents transitioning back into Haitian society at age 18 are offered a broad range of services to prepare and guide them as they reintegrate with family and communities and engage with a productive career in the workforce. There are four main components to the program designed to help them achieve professional success, live independent lives, develop a sense of civic responsibility to their community, and grow through ongoing mentoring and skill development.
Read more about Our Model of Service and Our Core Values
A printable version of our Programs is available here.
Conditions in Haiti continue to be devastating which brings more and more people to Pwoje Espwa Sud for shelter, food, education, and medical care.