Families offer the best hope of a nurturing environment for developing children.
Our program strives to keep families together with education and counseling aimed to empower families to achieve long-term success.
What we know:
- An estimated 30,000 children live in more than 760 orphanages across Haiti – less than15% of which are officially registered with the government (Lumos).
- Recent statistics show that over 80% of children in orphanages in Haiti have at least one living parent.
- Poverty and lack of access to basic services like medical care, education, and social services has forced parents to place their children in institutions.
Espwa cannot substitute the love and community bond that only comes from living in a family environment. Our Family Preservation program focuses on supplementing the family’s abilities by partnering with local services and resources in an effort to preserve the family unit.
Children develop best in caring families…families strengthen in vibrant communities…communities secure the future through their children.
Our desired outcomes for families:
- Families and children live together in their own homes, as much as possible.
- For families in crisis to regain their children within a couple of years of engaging with us.
- For resident children, to maximize the time families build relationships with them at Espwa.
How we help families:
- Offer education & scholarships
- Encourage long-term food support through gardens and animal farms
- Provide safe shelter through home repairs and new home construction
- Encourage economic growth with training and job creation
Other Program Areas